View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 02:36 PM
<----Zenith C845

FCC channel repack and Roku players; effect (if any) of ATSC 3.0 on Roku boxes

I asked a question recently regarding whether the FCC repack of US television channels will affect Roku streaming video players using the Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) application, but have yet to receive any responses. Since the Roku player deals only with video streams, not actual RF television broadcast signals, I do not believe the repack would have any effect on Roku boxes unless an area's local TV stations were on channels 38-51. My area, 30 miles east of Cleveland, is served by channels 3.1, 5.1, 8.1, 19.1, 25.1, 43.1 and 61.1, so I am not expecting the repack to affect any but the last two channels; if my Roku player then refuses to receive these stations, it will be no loss to me, since I don't watch those channels (or their DTV subchannels) very often, if at all.

Thank goodness the proposed new ATSC standard (3.0) will not do away with ATSC 1.0; in fact, from what I have read so far about the new standard, cable companies will not be required to carry TV signals broadcast in ATSC 3.0 and will in fact be able to carry signals broadcast under both standards. This information is from a recent edition of TV Technology Newsbytes, the newsletter of the TV industry, which I have had a subscription to for about two years now.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.