View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 01:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Seems that Europeanen made better colour films than "Kodak/Eastman". They tend to last a little bit longer before colour fading.
People duplicated movies for they own use or also for resale?
I'm curios, a film that haves that magnetic strip added for sound haves it from the begining or that strip is added after the film is procesed (developed)?
Kodachrome and Technicolor hold up well, just not Eastman. The problem exists with films made between 1950 and 1981, which is most every colour film.

Agfa (Germany) film does fade too, and so does Fuji (Japan), but less than the Eastman stuff does. I'm not sure about eastern bloc film. I haven't ever had a film from the USSR for example.

I'm not really sure what the logistics of illegal duplication were. The equipment and chemicals would be a bit too ambitious for a normal enthusiast. I've only seen the results when I've bought films, and they aren't too great.

Magnetic sound tracks on 16mm I am also not too familiar with. Some machines can play them, but the majority of films have an optical sound track. I think magnetic sound tracks were for a specific use, but i'm not sure what that use was. My projector does only optical, and I've never found a magnetic sound film for sale which I wanted to buy.