View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
[COLOR="black"]I learned about the four color buttons on remote controls, ironically, on a trip to the UK in 2000. They are/were for the Teletext system in wide use at that time (is it entirely gone now?). A Teletext screen would often have uses for those buttons, such as red for sports, blue for weather maybe.

I was so fascinated by Teletext (which had only brief, minimal use in the USA in the mid-1980s, with few decoders available and none built into TVs) that I "watched" it a lot more than actual TV programs on that trip.

The set of four color buttons does live on, though, with other uses. My Samsung TVs and Blu-ray player have them, marked A-B-C-D, and on-screen menus include functions for them.
[/COLOR]

The only on screen-menue that looks as if it might be relevant is Tint, but adjusting this seems to have no effect. It's strange. Daytime outside scenes look very good, clean whites and good colour balance in general, it's just dark scenes that look strange, like black curtain in a brightly lit scene. The bright part looks good but the black has this odd red/purple tint.

What I was hoping to find was a way to put the set on the manufacturers default settings and see what that did. If there's no way to do this I could maybe take the back off, see if there's a red picture control and carefully turn it down. I guess I could always turn it back up if it does more harm than good.

I've tried searching for an owners manual on line but so far, no luck.