Thread: I made it
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 07:31 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Oh, absolutely. This really IS a wonderful hobby, the folks involved are basically Second to None, & will likely always go the extra miles to help each other out. Some of us are quite obviously Deranged, but in a pretty harmless way. But DO be careful-I am reminded of a story from years back, before there was a separate VK, we were still the bastard stepchildren of AK. Seems these 2 intrepid collectors found a high end type radio/console in a barn. It may have been an E.H. Scott, Zenith Stratosphere, or some other high tube count exotica. Anyhoo, they loaded it in their van, & headed back to town. Pretty soon, they noticed a LOT of rather angry Waspers sharing the van... They stopped, looked in the back of the set, & encountered a GINORMOUS nest, who were NOT happy about being disturbed.. I think they stopped at a store & got a can of Raid, & took care of the waspers,, & maybe only got popped a time or 2 apiece, but STILL made for a harrowing experience. I've never had a "Live" nest in any of my finds, but I HAVE run acrost a few "Last Years' nests, so the threat is real. As Sgt Phil Esterhouse (Michael Conrad) used to intone on "Hill Street Blues"-"Let's be CAREFUL out there..."