Thread: Free cable?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 08:38 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I recently cut TWC out of my life, and have zero regrets. Mounted a nice tall HDTV antenna on a mast sunk into the ground, and along with my Roku box and Netflix I get everything I could want on TV....except Fox News and CNN (Roku has this CNN Go app, but it's not a live feed) along with a couple other channels.

To get the other channels, I simply used the VGA port on my TV and hooked up a small but powerful PC up to the set and have it run with a wireless keyboard/touchpad. From there, I just turn on the computer and pull up my Firefox favorites where I have streams set up for everything I want to watch that I can't get by other means. Expand to full screen on the feed and done.

Sure, the video quality isn't HD, but it beats the hell out of paying $200 per month for the same crap I paid $89.95 for 3 or 4 years ago. Ever since, I get flooded with mailers from TWC now wanting me back at the 89.95 rate when they refused to discount it below $198 when I was a subscriber. Screw TWC.
If that PC is pre-windows 10 and supports an external video card then you should be able to find a card for it that has NTSC S-video out so you can also drive your older sets with it....I try to keep such a rig running at all times.....Granted yesterday both of my regular use machines media (which was the backup for the normal media rig that is waiting on a cap change) and otherwise crapped out leaving me with one crappy spare, and a a junker....I bought the junker to build up, but it was dead, yet it came back to life on Halloween.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4