View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
These toasters were made to last, I'm sure, which is something we don't see anymore in mass-produced appliances, or anything else, for that matter. As I mentioned in a previous post, my grandmother had a toaster like the one being discussed here. It lasted years, if not decades, and may well have been working even after she died in 1985; this speaks volumes for the manner in which appliances were built in the 1920s to about the 1960s. We wll never see this kind of quality again, as I am about to explain.

I had a Sharp microwave for 20 years; it finally gave up last month, but I wasn't disappointed when it quit. It gave me excellent service in that time (I bought it new when I moved to my apartment in 1999), which again speaks volumes for how things were built until everything was being made in Japan and elsewhere in the Orient.

However, when my Sharp microwave finally quit (it began throwing sparks near the end, and I saw a bit of smoke in the cavity as well the last time I used it), I bought a Black and Decker microwave, which works very well--for now, anyway. I do not expect the new one to last anywhere nearly as long as the old one did, given the cheap and often slipshod way many if not most appliances are built nowadays; however, what can you do?
The B&D oven is probably a low power one, something like 600 or 700 watts.
They don't cook fast enough for many users.
The GE over-the-range microwave in my place is 1800 watts and you have to watch how it's used. It could easily overcook or make an item too hot. It's made in Korea and been trouble-free for 18 years.