View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post
What do I need to touch to get the tingle?
Oy Vey Prunella , could I have fun with this one ...... !

But seriously , like the other posters have said , you want the metal chassis (If it uses one , and not a circuit board) of a Hot chassis set to be at electrical Neutral . If your lacking an AC voltmeter a handy test has always been to have a known good 120V light bulb in a socket with two wires about 3 feet long and stripped of insulation maybe 1/4" on each end . Test the bulb first by sticking the bared ends of the wires into the Hot and Neutral , and then into the Hot and Ground of the wall outlet you intend to plug the device into , and observe that the bulb lights . Now stick the wires into the Ground and Neutral and observe that the bulb does NOT light . This checks both the bulb AND the outlet , making sure that the Ground is in fact present and that the outlet is wired properly (no mixed up connections in the outlet , this does happen occasionally) Now plug and turn on the radio (or TV or whatever "hot chassis" device your working with) and touch one wire to the metal chassis and the other to the Ground terminal of the outlet you've got the device plugged into . Bulb doesn't light ? Your good , and plugged into the outlet in the correct orientation . Bulb does light ? Unplug the device (leave the device's power switch in the on position) and turn the plug 180 degrees and plug it back in and repeat the test , the bulb darned well shouldn't light and your chassis is now "safe" at Neutral potential . I have made it a point to install polarized plugs on every Hot chassis device in my collection and have verified all the outlets in my house are correctly polarized , just to ensure no one gets to feel the tingle from any piece in my collection .