View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Old TVs are better!

Yes, the pot at the far end of the tuning shaft is the volume control. When I worked on it, I added a 1 amp fuse and holder on the back which should blow in case of a shorted rectifier (6X5 replacement), a shorted power transformer, or a shorted filter capacitor. The problem with using the 6X5 tube is that the filament is tied in with the rest of the filaments of all the tubes, and one side of the filament winding goes directly to the chassis ground, putting over 250 volts between the filament and the cathode in the 6X5 rectifier tube. In other makes and models they used a 5 volt filament (IE 5Y3, 5U4, etc) rectifier with a separate 5 volt secondary, so the filament winding was isolated from the rest of the circuit by the power transformer. Also for your information, the radio draws slightly less than 1/2 amp of power, so I figured a 1 amp quick acting fuse in the power line was sufficient to blow in case of a short, yet would still handle an average power surge that may come from the wall outlet. I saw the radio at my friends "Titan1a's house" and his CCrain twin-coil antenna does a super job of pulling in distant stations, eliminating the hum, interference and buzz associated with all the electronic noise present in today's digital environment. Also the 6X5 solid state replacement contains the surge/dropping resistor which also adds protection in case of a filter capacitor shorting.