View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Motorola Minion

Voice of Music record changer repairs

As common as V-M changers seem to be, there seem to be few threads and videos demonstarting the maintenance and repairs needed in comparison to other makes, namely gunked-up BSRs from the 70s.

Often, V-M changers work very well as found. But sometimes they don't operate perfectly and I have learned much in my journey of getting a few of them fully and reliably functional again. This includes disassembly and cleaning, often resulting in losing parts or finding parts missing or seeing parts assemled incorrectly, in what is otherwise a simple and routine process. Then it involves finding replacements from donor units or buying them online.

V-M changers were installed in many 1950s and 1960s consoles and portable players by some of the best consumer electronics manufacturers like Zenith, Motorola, Admiral and Philco. Fortunately, the design seems to have changed little in this era. A V-M is best recognized by the "857" prefix on numbers stamped under the pan and the big sliding plate driven by a gear eccentric. Above the pan, there is a small arrow-shaped drop sensor for 12" records between the tone-arm pivot and the stabilizer arm shaft .

I want to post what I have learned in this thread to help other enthusiasts making lasting repairs without investing too much in parts money.

What are some of your experiences, assembly mistakes made (I offer several teaching examples) and ingenious repair methods?

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-17-2015 at 01:40 PM.