View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 03:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
OK, so I downloaded the Sam's Photofact for the big Zenith, which is a 15L22U Chassis, and according to the Sam's my TV was supposed to be Remote Controled Model (they don't give any other arrangements of that particular chassis) and the fact that my TV clearly has a spot in it for a remote control receiver sub-chassis, but there's nothing there clearly shows that more than likely this was indeed a remote controlled model originally but then possibly the original owners of the TV were having issues with the remote control functions so they decided to have the repairman remove the remote control receiver subchassis from the TV so they didn't have to worry about it anymore so then they just operated it "manually" (using the push-button in the front of the TV) and just called it good enough.

Also according to the Sam's that auto/ manual switch on the back of the TV was indeed a remote control receiver defeat switch just like I said it was, and the fact that the hole was actually punched out on the back cover of my TV rather than just being a "blank" (unpunched) hole is another reason why I suspect this TV originally was a remote controlled set.
AFAIK, the remote unit has to be in there to operate the motor driven tuner.
I has relays and other parts for the motor drive. The metal cabinet sets generally used the same back for all the models of the same size. It's more cost effective.