View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
True enough, although when using a choke filter it's possible to get the input capacitor too large and the B+ will go higher than intended. If hum is a problem I'd first try increasing only the cap on the output of the choke.

I'm now having reservations on my recommendation of 250wvdc for the caps. If the 80 rectifier turns on before the other tubes fully conduct, B+ could temporarily become much higher than normal. 350-450wvdc may be the safer bet given how small modern electrolytic are. What are you guy's thoughts?

Ultimately once you get the set operational you can monitor the B+ and see how high it surges at turn on.
OK, good point.

When I get paid on Friday (just had to drop $100 between my desktop and laptop computer because my laptop's cooling fan decided it was going to start failing on me and my desktop wouldn't let me get on the internet) I will order 2 4.7 MFD 450 VDC capacitors from AES (they don't sell 2.2 MFD caps but they sell 4.7 MFD caps).

Then order the replacement speaker from ebay for my radio as I think the original speaker is too far gone to try and fix using the diluted glue and coffee filter paper method, because the wiring is also messed up on it and I don't want to have to mess around having to try and special order from Radio Daze or Merry Tunes the wiring and special pin connectors that these speakers need to work because they're kind of pricey.

As for the bypass caps that are in those rectangular aluminum cans, could I just get away with restuffing those? They look easy enough to take apart and gut. Or should I not bother?

Last edited by vortalexfan; 07-28-2020 at 04:23 PM.