View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
LOL, wow. This would be interesting if it wasn't the "Digital" System 3. I only sold a dozen or so (required show order) and never restocked them. At the time, we were selling the RCA CTC140s and Sonys which just blew these out of the water. When someone called to come in to demo a DS3, I made sure everyone unplugged the 140s. Just a miserable design and performance. A friend of mine sold a crapload of them and has (or had?) tons of parts including the ITT integrated circuits and complete 700 boards.

John
A friend bought a 31" Digital System 3 in the late '80s-early '90s and I think he gave about $1600 for it. He bought it because it had Teletext and that feature helped him with a lot of the sports betting that he was doing. He didn't have it long before it required service and in the early 2000s, the jug started going weak, but he kept watching it until it failed to turn on one day. That time, I repaired it and rejuvenated the tube. It looked good for a little while, and then the tube fell off again, and there were also some vertical issues. At that point, it became a TV stand for a 27" BPC set and he eventually gave me the Zenith. I replaced some bad caps in the vertical circuit, hit the jug again, and donated it to the Salvation Army.

I agree that those RCA CTC140 and Sony sets would blow the high-priced Zenith out of the water. Those CTC140 and 169 TVs were good ones.