View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
One thing that would have broad interest is Zenith linearity and convergence plastic coil forms...The lin. forms tend to melt or crack, and the convergence can crack if bumped. I've been tempted to find someone with a 3D scanner to ask them to run off a few dozen copies of my one intact original spare.
I'd absolutely be interested in looking into doing this. I think it'd make a great trial run to see if the idea is feasible for us. Can I PM you for more information on the part to see if I can initiate a trial run?

I'm going to look into all of this and see what we can do. We're set up for 3D printing anyway, so plastics are a definite possibility. Injection molding may happen, but it'll take time. We could start up rubber casting and 3D printing almost immediately, but I know some plastic parts really need to be injection molded to look correct.

I'll update once I have more information, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this stuff can get off the ground.

If there's anyone with a specific part that they want to ask about, feel free to PM me. I'm not going to make any promises yet, but the director of the lab was very enthusiastic about trying this out. I think money, time, and equipment are going to be our biggest enemies, but a lot of that can be overcome with experimentation. Right now it's gonna be a case-by-case basis to get stuff done, but it doesn't hurt to check.