View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
A split phase motor has a start and run winding. The stationary start switch, might have bad contacts, or the centrifugal actuator might be gummed up and holding the start contacts open.
If the motor has sleeve bearings, they could be causing an uneven air gap. Because of belt tension, they get worn in one spot.
Instead of trying to trouble shoot this problem, replacement is the best policy.
These are good ideas ! I use to have a belt drive in my heater but there were like 20 sets of bushings in a box, and if the belt was a little too loose it would sequel something awful.... After our second year in this house I replaced the motor with a direct drive motor, had the shaft turned down the meet with the motor shaft and got a direct coupling between them. Lasted 3 years, then bushing problems in the motor, replaced it, ran 2 more years..... Then got a similar motor for outside use, sealed with ball bearings.... 6 years now I think and it runs perfect... Replaced all the stupid bushings on the squirrel cage fan with ball bearings too.... That has been trouble free 6 years too..... The belt bushing thing I replaced bushings 2X a winter..... Sucky design.....

RCA2000 If you look at your squirrel cage you will or should have screw holes in 3 places spaced out. There is a motor belly band that you can get at Grainger and it will hold a motor there, then get a coupling, and reversible motor, and you can end your motor problems.....

Last edited by Username1; 02-22-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Audiokarma