Thread: Rca Tk-41
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
Yes i Know, but still there should be thousands of old Low D cameras, vtrs and switchers laying around somewhere, shouldn't there? did they all go to the dump?
Actually, as I said, a lot of them are still in service. I know our studio isn't due for a change-out until next year. And even then it will be with digital SD cameras. A lot of SD gear has also found a second home in schools, churches, government, plus internet web streaming. You don't need HD cameras for a lot of web streaming applications. And when equipment does reach end-of-life its often auctioned on eBay or can be found at B-stock suppliers like Broadcast Store, etc

Usually its only when the device is non-operational does it usually find its way to a recycler. I know I helped load the dump truck on Friday with a Chyron Maxine, several 3/4" decks of all sorts of variety. A 3/4" robotic server (that killed me, I'd have liked to take such a unique beast home), Several BetcamSP decks that had ended up underwater when our Odetics robotic Betcam server was flooded out because a pipe burst. The Odectics itself had to be chainsawed to get it into small enough pieces to leave the building, it had literally been put in there when the place was built.

Anyway, to answer your question, its still out there.

David