View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 03:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I haven't yet heard or read anything about ATSC 3.0 tests in Cleveland, but that could change at any time. As I write this, all seven Cleveland TV stations are still operating under the ATSC 1.0 standard; none of them have made any tests or have announced that they are going to switch to ATSC 3.0 any time soon. The Phoenix area is much larger than the Cleveland TV market, though, so it makes sense that the former would be one of the first markets to run tests of ATSC 3.0. However, I would have expected the Los Angeles market, which is much larger than Phoenix, to have been the first market to test the new standard. Why was Phoenix chosen as the first test area? As I said, it would have made more sense to test the standard in L.A. or New York City since, again, these markets are much larger than any other television market in the US.
AFAIK no one among the general public, in large markets or otherwise, currently has a television capable of receiving the new signals. The first TV station in the US to broadcast a digital ATSC signal was WRAL in Raleigh, North Carolina in 1996. Read about it here. Not exactly a huge market, but the article even says HDTVs were not available to be purchased until 1998, so it didn't matter. I don't understand why you think it would make more sense for the testing to take place in LA or NY. Once this new standard is ready to go mainstream, I am sure the large markets won't be left behind.