View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
Conn built them for (among other things) tuning the organs the company also turned out. They could, of course, be used for tuning other instruments.

I borrowed one years ago to tune my Conn organ, and it worked very well. The only problem was when I finished, I realized I had the "chorus" tab depressed. The chorus circuit worked by slightly throwing the entire instrument out of tune, which meant I tuned all the oscillators perfectly, when they were not meant to be.

I'll never make that mistake again.
Well that's good to know, if I ever find an old Conn organ someday I might be able to use this for that. And well I guess that's a mistake we won't ever try to make again, as far as trying to leave the chorus tab on while trying to tune the organ.

Speaking of old Conn organs, I once found an old Conn Organ chassis and amplifier at my local computer store in their freebie pile so I took and brought it home with me and salvaged as many of the tubes out of it as I could (there were probably close to 70 tubes in the organ originally and I was able to salvage about 60 of the tubes and they were all the original Conn branded tubes, that were made by companies like RCA and GE, and they all still tested excellent yet on my tube tester.)

Also my church camp I went to when I was growing up had an old Conn Organ in one of their lodges, that was then trashed later on because it supposedly wasn't working, they also trashed several old Hammond organs that they also supposedly thought didn't work (which I knew better than that and they all worked because I had played nearly all of the organs they had on their grounds and they still worked fine.)