View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Now, for 4K displays, double the screen size (or sit half as far away... Sit any further away, and most people will not see a sharper picture than with a 1080p screen.
Now that I have seen a good 4K display in a friend's house (as opposed to store displays that are near-impossible to properly evaluate), I disagree with my previous statement. There is more to gain from a 4K (also called UHD) display than just higher resolution. The extremely fine pitch of the display picture elements makes even good-quality 1080i or 1080p content look more life-like at moderate viewing distances (about six feet or so from a 65-inch diagonal screen). It is essentially a similar effect to what you get in the super-detailed screens of some of the newer cell phones and tablets (what in Apple's case they call a "retina display", though other companies have similar or better displays). None of those small displays are ever used to their maximum resolution with individual picture elements likely, but they do look superior to similar-sized displays with lower (but still high) resolution.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."