View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:04 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
do any of you sometimes wonder how your mods will lend themselves to future repairs?
Given that electrolytics have only gotten smaller (astonishingly so) over the years so any new individual cap 30 years in the future should fit where the one I installed yesterday is now...Unless the apocalypse comes and those left are dealing with a world where tech was set back 40 years...

Some sets have a good bit of room under chassis where the original cap was and if you spend a buck or two on a 5 terminal strip with one grounded terminal you can mount all your caps for a can to it, solder the ground flange to chassis (or bolt it if you lack a 75W Iron needed for mechanically sound chassis solder joints) and you then have something almost as convenient as changing the can...

On chassis grounded cans it is much easier adding individual caps...There are ground points everywhere on most chassis so just clip the wire at the can, find it's other end clip that too (or unsolder it) and fit a cap there...You may even get better filtering and less noise radiation if the cap is right at the ripple source rather than half a chassis away with a long wire (read noise radiating device) stretched to it. Also almost all new caps with reasonably long leads (not those snap fit ones with 1/4" tabs) have stout enough leads that the leads hold them in place securely.

CTC-15 chassis seem to have a lot of nice terminal strip locations to install caps on (CTC-5s are not bad either) ...I wish I could comment on your eleven but the only roundy color RCAs I haven't worked on are the CTC-7 through CTC-12.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 03-15-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Audiokarma