View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pitch control is another name for speed control. Anti-skate is used to compensate for the natural tendancy of the tonearm to want to slide towards the center of the record. Some turntables are calibrated so that the tracking force is in a ratio of the anti-skate control. About the easiest way to adjust the anti-skate is to cue the tonearm over the beginning of the record and let it down. If it skates toward the center of the record, adjust the control one direction. If it skates outward, adjust the control the other way. You want it so that the tonearm comes down and doesn't skate inward or outward.
I have a Dual 1219 that was froze up from old grease. A good cleaning and new grease got it running tip top. Don't go overboard on the grease and oil, some parts rely on friction to operate properly. Do a Google search on the 1219 or 1229 maintenance and you'll find a lot of useful information on maintaining and keeping it running smoothly. I use my 1219 mostly for 78's, and a Pioneer PL-630 for LP's and 45's.
Good luck.