View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Pretty much the same thing happened here. Here-& in Western Europe, we did a lot of the "Heavy Lifting", developed a lot of this stuff, figured out how to take it from a laboratory curiosity to something that could be easily made & sold for a relatively cheap price. Then, we let the Japanese come over here, they saw our processes, went back home, refined what we did a bit, & left us in the dust. Also, we didn't innovate-Why didn't RCA, in 1962, start working on a 5", all transistor, COLOR set when Sony debuted their (In)famous 5-303 B/W set is beyond me. Surely, RCA must have had the technical smarts to have pulled it off, if they didn't, NO ONE did. I remember reading somewhere that in 1949, Gen. Sarnoff was testifying before congress on the development of color tv, & an exasperated aidw told him, "General, most of this stuff you're talking about has not even been invented yet. How can you be so certain it is even feasible ?!?" Sarnoff looked at the guy & told him, "I TOLD my engineers to do it. And they WILL..." And they did. Wish we still had guys like Sarnoff in industry, instead of legions upon legions of trembling "Managers" who can run everything from a fruit stand to General Motors, but don't know squat about the products they "Manage" They can take at least 12 cents worth of "Cost" out of every dime of said cost in anything, but they never seem to know when they start cutting the VALUE out of what they're sharpening their cost-cutting knives over....