View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 01:59 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
That's the one.

I also remember seeing some cable boxes that had a single mechanical knob tuner, similar to the single knob varactor tuners in some TV's.

IIRC, that Jerrold box had dirty switches in it when I got it. It worked OK after I cleaned; but, of course, it's now only good for a paperweight, since everything above channel 12 is digital.
I live in Lake County, Ohio. When cable arrived here in 1982, we had Jerrold converter boxes for our TVs like the one being described (one for the living room set and another for my Zenith 13" color portable in my bedroom). The cable in our area at the time only carried something on the order of 40 channels, all analog. Today, such boxes are obsolete several times over (as radiotvnut and anyone else trying to use analog cable boxes has discovered), since of course they do not work with digital TV.

Edit: I did not realize Jerrold also made a remote-control version of this box. Would have been nice if they had kept it around awhile, updated of course for DTV. I wonder how difficult it would have been to update the JSX/JRX versions for digital TV. Would it have been a major job to upgrade these boxes, or did Jerrold just give up on this series when DTV arrived?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Audiokarma