View Single Post
Old 11-26-2022, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm83 View Post
Hi
I just got two 80s vcrs the other day on Facebook a Toshiba dx7 & Panasonic pv 1461 both with remotes

The toshiba needed a belt and it's working but the vu meter is not. I tried a few of the switches on the front but it doesn't light up.

The Panasonic when I first plugged it in the clock did not come on then a few seconds later it did and it would not play a tape. But I had it outside in my garage when I bought it in my basement and tried it last night it worked fine. Maybe it needs new caps. Or maybe it was cold

I cant find too much online about them but I know the Panasonic is from 1986 & I think the Toshiba is also.
If you decide to use both daily, the Toshiba will outlast the Panasonic. The Panasonic has several weak or bad capacitors in the power supply, with very-limited life left (probably no more than 1 year). Shortly, then you realize the Panasonic has snowy picture from video head.

In my over 20+ years of repair experience, a Toshiba product that says Made in Japan in the back always outlasts Panasonic Made in Japan over 90% of the time. But, when Toshiba closed their manufacturing doors, and the new Toshiba product is outsourced, then Panasonic wins for reliability that is not Made in Japan.

Last edited by waltchan; 11-28-2022 at 02:31 PM.