View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you have HV your fly is still decent. There are a variety of things in the HV cage that can cause that noise. First off the HV cage and the parts inside it need to be VERY clean...Even a thin hard to notice layer of dust can carbonize into a conductive path.
Second: the filament leads between the flyback and the bottom of the HV rect tube and the insulator cup around the base of that tube as well as the HV lead to the CRT and the top lead to the HV regulator can all break down and arc/ develop holes and or conductive carbon tracks fron HV side of the insulation to grounds on the outside of the insulation (I've seen and fixed these issues many times)...Examine it thouroughly with the set on and covers open with little to no room lighting to acertain the exact source of arcing, and if you clean these parts (which you should) examine them carefully.

Third (it has been a few years since I last had a CTC-25) IIRC these molded the top cap of the HV rect tube into the fly HV winding....If the HV rect tube is too physically short it will not seat properly into the cup and arc...Makesure you have one of the taller versions of that tube (different makes made them taller and shorter at different times). Also on RCAs with the HV top cap molded into the flyback there is an issue with the outer rubber tire breaking down and becoming conductive between the cup and the center of the winding. The solution is to peel off the rubber tire scrape away any carbonization beneath the tire and recoat the area the tire once covered with sensor safe RTV silicone.

Another note in the days these sets were new many people in humid climates did not own airconditioners or dehumidifiers, and these sets were designed to handle it. If the fly absorbed too much from being off for weeks/months it would heat up and boil/bake out the moisture sometimes bubbling out a bit of wax too, then normalize and continur to function...If you recoat it before letting it do this maybe leave a small breathe hole or two on the side for it to vent then seal them after it has baked out a good bit.

Also important is making sure your horizontal is set up properly the osc, needs to be adjusted properly as per the sam's proceedure, grid drive/bias at the horizontal output needs to be strong, and perhaps most importantly yout H linearity/efficiency coil needs to be adjusted for minimum H output cathode DC current. All the horizontal adjustment proceedures should be explained in your copy of the Sam's...Preform them.

RCA flys can last indefinitely if you make sure conditions around them are ideal...If they engineered a bit more margin in like Zenith did then you could afford to be more lax with horizontal maintenance.
Hey.

So I got a 0-500 dc ammeter. I have a few things to report in. Im cleaning the hv leads and cage. I am also getting ready to pull the fly cage to re silicone. One thing I forgot to mention is that I did end up loosing vertical but there was still a bit of something you could adjust with the brightness which I imagine was the horizontal.

The boost rectifier diode has gone open. It is listed as a 1n3195. Sr102/X6 has also failed. It is in series with the yellow lead going into the primary of the vertical output. Im having trouble finding a replacement for it. It is a hv rectifier and is listed in sams under General electronics GECR-2. So I will need to replace the boost rect diode and hv diode.

You suggested fusing the h output cathode with a .25 amp fuse. What voltage rating?