View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA tube set with no picture and a strained flyback

I got this 1955 RCA tube set from the original owners who had kept it all these years. I tube went bad years ago so the tv got put away. Anyways this set seemed like a good first project but things have not been going well at all. When I first brought it home I could actually get a white box to appear on the screen, so I want ahead and tested every tube. It had a bad verticle output tube that was replaced, and a bad audio 6av6 tube that is still missing (Kinda forgot about it). I replaced every capactor and had hoped all would be well, but no. The flyback has a low pitched whine and the screen does not light up at all (though the rear of the tube does). I can get an arch off of the top of the flyback tube and the plunger, but still no luck with the screen. I will pull the chassis out again and look through the manual again but nothing has been obvious.

I was hoping this would be an easier project to learn from. I repair solid state sets all the time but these tube sets have been a struggle.