View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My buddy & I were both "Major-League" fans of "Hill Street Blues", & "St Elsewhere", & both lusted mightily over Veronica Hamel & Cindy Pickett, amongst others. The only fly in the ointment was I kinda thought "Joyce Davenport" was a bit on the "Too Bitchy" side, she could have been a LOT sweeter to the "Frank Furillo" character. But it WAS kinda neat watching that show from a station way the hell off in Norton, Virginia, or somewhere like that. Like I said, shit, it was SOMETHIN' to do-better than sitting at home. The old guy who owned the theater in town was a radio repair guy, & after the War, bought the 1st TV here in Bugtussle. THAT was a Big Deal, so much so that he built a set of bleachers up there, had power, rigged up an antenna, & at night during the warm months, they'd gather up there, & try to coax out a signal from WRB or WAGA outta Atlanta. My Uncle went up there a few times, he said every so often, they'd get a pic of a baseball diamond, & maybe an announcer, & the whole bunch would cheer & holler... We didn't get a local station til 1953, or '54, & I think it was outta Knoxville.. Hey, life in Small Town America after the War... Gotta LOVE it ! I have that TV-a 1948-49 7" Bakelite cased Admiral, & I had it "Gone thru", it works pretty well, especially for what it is... They weren't exactly very sophisticated machines.

Last edited by Sandy G; 02-27-2019 at 04:39 PM.