View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Its already been done, none of the electrolytics in the radio are original to the set, that was the first thing I did when I got this set, was replace the old electrolytics, which I left the old cans in place for aesthetics and wired in some new electrolytics which I installed onto some isolated terminal strips that I soldered ontop of the old electrolytic can's positive terminal (the terminal strip's attachment lug was isolated from the terminals so the original cans are still out of the circuit but are being used as an attachment point for the terminal strip for the new electrolytics without affecting the circuit, its a trick I learned from Mr. Carlson's Lab.)

I checked the capacitors that I installed in the radio and they still test good yet on my ESR Meter, (they mesured about 4-6 ohms ESR and they both are 2 4.7 MFD 450V axial lead electrolytics paralleled together to make 10 MFD at 450V).

And then the low voltage electrolytic is a 10/10 @ 160V Firecracker type electrolytic cap like the original was, and that one tests fine as well.

So unless one of these caps failed in a manner I'm not aware of, or that the ESR meter wasn't able to detect (dead shorted) then I don't think the electrolytics are to blame here.
Remove the rectifier tube and check the HV windings on pins 4&6. Should be around 600 volts AC or 300 volts from either 4 or 6 to ground. If it seems to be in order, replace the 5Z4 with a 5Y3. Maybe the 5Z4 got damaged!
I would leave the 5Y3 in there! I don't trust the old-time metal rectifiers!