View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by site123a View Post

I was always interested in the DVD-RAMs since the media is protected in a cartridge, however the price of the discs kept putting me off.

I listen to Leo Laporte a lot, and he keeps telling people "after 10 years tapes de-grade to the point were there un-watchable anymore", and "tapes will stick and you'll won't be able to play them anymore".

I don't know why he keeps telling people this since the chance of this happening is not as big as he makes it seems, however I should add that he doesn't like using DVDs or hard drive for archiving nether...
Leo Laporte! Used to watch him on "The Screen Savers" on the old ZDTV channel. He's wrong on the lifespan of video tape. I have plenty of old VHS and Beta tapes from the late '70s-early '80S that play perfectly fine.

You should hang on to those old tapes, especially the ones your friend copied to DVD-R. When the DVDs will no longer play, the tapes probably will and you can sell them back to him, if the tapes were kept in an air-conditioned place, not in a barn, attic or garage.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 09-07-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Audiokarma