View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Thanks for posting that. Makes me wonder if any stations in the U.S. went on air with vidicon studio cameras.

I have seen plenty of vidicon film chains used in Chicago in past years, but no vidicon studio use I can recall.

Reminds me of a UHF station in Chicago that went on the air as an all-day stock market ticker / business report. I believe when they first went to color it was with a hand-me-down TK-41 from WGN. That camera was trained on the announcer so steadily, I often thought they could turn off the lights and run on the burned-in image.

These days, as a digital station, they are running multiple subchannels of sitcoms, etc.
Are you sure this wasn't the same station that, as of the late 1970's, had IVC 501 color studio cameras, one of which had a mini-monitor put on top as a viewfinder when the camera's own viewfinder burned out?

As for film chains in Chicago, which color chains were used as of the '70's by stations other than what I will mention? I know that WBBM, for many years after 1965, had RCA TK-27's - which were also used by WMAQ (I think - plus a few TK-26's left over from old days, probably TK-28's as well by the end of the decade), WGN, WFLD and that other UHF in question (presumably itself a hand-me-down). Which chains were used by the other stations in town (WLS, WTTW and WSNS)? Something tells me it was an all-RCA, almost all-TK-27 town, unless I'm mistaken on that.

But I thought TK-15's, besides industrial use, would have seen action at some public-access "CATV" stations at various parts of the country in the early years of their existence.