View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
A Sansui receiver parts cross-reference. I'm hoping to refit my 661 with a blue dial scale.
Electronic parts, yes, Sansui made a cross reference from their part number to an EIAJ number, or a JEDEC number for some diodes (1N60, etc). Cabinet parts, no. Sansui and only Sansui distributed their parts, unlike Pioneer, Technics (Matsushita/Panasonic) and Sony. JVC was another - in the early days of JVC/Nivico, you had to call in the part, they'd Telex it to Japan, and you waited for the slow boat to come in. Thankfully their TVs used NEC components, so a Japanese-made Sears would have the part, and available through Sears parts.

Most cosmetic items varied by continent - get a Worldwide service manual, and you'll find all of the differences for Asia, Australia, South America, Europe and US Forces Europe units. Some parts weren't available in the US - patent infringement initially kept the parts unavailable. Wafer rotary switches were one - Oak and Mallory had patents on the "bend" of a contact, and the Alps parts infringed on the patent, so if you needed say, a rotary speaker switch for a US marketed unit, you could order the part from AAFEEs in Europe and they'd sell and mail it to you, but Sansui left you hanging, making the part unavailable to the US market. We went through this with a couple of units.

I no longer have the Olive-green covered Sansui guide, but have still have my two Sony Semiconductor part number/substitution guides - the base '86 one and the '88 supplement. After the internet came into being, Sony quit publishing the guide.

Abe Books had one of the Sansui guides for an astronomical amount back around 2004/2005, when a buddy in the DC area picked up a storage unit with about 20 Sansui Amps and Receivers and was looking for one. I haven't seen or heard of one since. Maybe someone has scanned it and is offering a PDF - I dunno..

HFE has your service manual....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!