Thread: Motorola 57W
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
A far as getting the bulb out, it's a bayonet type. Simply push the bulb inward and twist left. Sometimes over the years they get sort of stuck and takes some wiggling it around to get it loosened, but it looks as if it should come out fairly easy. It's nice to see younger guys like you getting interested in collecting and restoring old electronic stuff. Back in those days they were made to be fix and repaired. Some of them have really nice cabinets and are still very good performers. After some practice with this radio, you can get some experience with soldering, replacing caps, wiring, tubes, etc, you will be able to move on to bigger more complex stuff. It's mostly the same technique whether it be a small radio, or a big color roundie console TV. Your radio looks to be in really good shape, no rust, nice and clean. Also for sure change out those white wax capacitors and the black one with strips. The black one with with strips are termed "bumble bee" capacitors. If the volume control is staticy as you turn it, spray it with some electronic contact cleaner. The bumble bee capacitor is a .047 mfd. Most of the time (unless the capacitor has a higher voltage rating) 600 volt capacitors will suffice just fine. The ones in the radio are probably rated at 400 volts, but going higher in voltage is fine. Another place to get capacitors is capacitorworld. They do not have a bulk requirement, and they are quite reasonable. Here are a couple of links that you might find useful.

http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewSI...FcK6wAod3agB5A

http://www.capacitorworld.net/
Thank you, Walter. The bulb came right out exactly as you said. Wasn't at all stuck, I just didn't know how to remove it.

I have an appreciation for both older and newer gadgets, but when it comes to quality and longevity, there's no contest. For me, this is an introductory project. I'm looking forward to bigger and better things, but this is my opportunity to gain restoration experience and get to know you guys.

As far as capacitors, thanks for the recommendations. I actually did consider capacitorworld and I really like how simple their website is. Muuuuch easier than navigating mouser. Only thing was they didn't sell the bulb, so I would have had to buy it elsewhere. The site you list wanted to charge me $0.39 for the bulb and $9.99 for shipping. Eh, no . Radio Shack has them, but way overpriced (typical radio shack) and nowadays the nearest store to me is all the way in Belcaro. But yeah, in the future I'd definitely use capacitorworld and I'm glad someone here can vouch for them. And the bumblebee, is this also what's known as a "black beauty?" I looked at it and at first thought it was an oversized resistor. Wasn't until I got the schematic (thanks again, Wiscojim) that i realized it was a capacitor. It will be replaced soon.
Audiokarma