Thread: Konica CV-301
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Nescio Quid Dicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Don't know anything in particular about this camera, just general stuff about 1-tube color cameras. These all (except for certain Sony's, as far as I recall) used yellow and cyan color stripes on the target to create blue and red modulation of the video. This made them very critical as to electrical focus in the pickup tube. They were also smeary, noisy, and not very sensitive compared to CCD cameras. Also, the non-linear response of the vidicon tube produced a cross-modulation between red, blue, and luminance that tended to desaturate greens and emphasize reds and blues. Don't know what the target material was in a Cosvicon; it could have improved the sensitivity and non-linearity.
Well, it will be an interesting experiment. I was actually wanting that 'smeary, noisy' business; I've been looking a lot at CCD and vidicon video images and I see that vidicon tubes in general appear to give a 'vintage' feel to the footage; kind of like listening to a scratchy old LP. I have seen some attempts to make modern footage look like old video or Super8 footage, and I'm not convinced it works. I have a project in mind that will requires the use of old-looking footage, so I thought what better way to do that than to use an actual old camera? I may desaturate to B&W anyway, so colors won't matter too much.

Thanks for the comments!