View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 06:53 PM
M is for Memory

Well the weather has been nice so I fixed the passenger power lock issue this weekend. On Friday me and a friend re-diagnosed the issue both switches only gave a response in one direction, and that response was a motor squeaking sound only from the passenger door. We got the passenger door card off and got a look at the motor in that door. It worked, but the rubber grommets that held it in it's mounts were turning to jelly, and predictably it had come loose from it's mountings. We figured out that the switch that was supposed to reverse voltage to it was not letting that happen, and thinking it was the passenger switch wasted a lot of time trying fix it. Then we ran out of time and buttoned it all back up.

The next day I messed around with the passenger switch more until I realized that it could not be the problem, and went after the driver side switch, I borrowed a similar switch from the window system and installing it yielded motor response from both switches in both directions (as it should). Being broke rather than spend 20$ for the correct replacement switch my solution was to drill a hole in the sealed plastic case and shoot contact cleaner in...It will now control the locks correctly, but if it is not re-centered quite right (the spring return is not as good after drilling the hole) the good passenger switch only will work one way. I wish the manual had an actual schematic of the circuit so that I could have figured it out back on Friday.

Today I fixed the passenger motor. Since it was out of it's mounts it would just try to turn futilely. The bad mount grommets were an odd shape that the hardware store did not stock so I got creative. My solution was to get some rubber stoppers (little rubber corks) the right size that they would be firmly wedged in the mount by the motor, and drill holes in them so the pegs of the motor would fit in the center....With how much effort went into squeezing it all together I think it is safe to say that it should hold together until those rubber stoppers start to rot. After that I lubed the motor (boy did that improve things) and cycled it about a dozen times, and put it all back together.

The driver side lock motor is still silent and unresponsive, but that is a job for another day. The way I see it the driver side power lock is the least important. I can let folks I travel with in and out easier now, and any future girl friend won't have to watch me bumble around with a key (that might need to be in the ignition at the time) as much.

I figure one of three things is wrong with the driver side lock motor: open motor, open supply/control wiring, or the motor is stuck REALLY firmly. Time will tell.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4