View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
if it needs a rejuvenation at such low hours then the CRT was junk from the factory. like 90s Zeniths sets were.

I have a Magnavox TV that my parents bought new for me back in 94 and that thing still has a picture on it like it was new. However I can tell its starting to get tired as convergence/focus is drifting in the extreme corners. Its a daily watcher, has been since 94.

Surprised me for being a BPC set. Sure, I had to fix it a couple times. Once it fell victim to the very common 100uF capacitor failure in the horiz circuit that causes a scrambled picture. Then there was a 3.3uF non polar cap that dried out taking out the STR regulator IC.

After those 2 repairs I hadn't had to fix it again luckily. Only downside is its a hot chassis so there is full B+ on the coax line. cable company wasnt too happy about that a time or two when they were out. Now its hooked up to a modulator so it doesn't matter anymore, now that there is no such thing as analog anything anymore.
Hot chassis or not, there shouldn't have been any potential on the coax input.
There should've been an isolating network in the lead from the tuner to the coax connector. These devices were sourced from EIA 343, Zenith and had a tag stating not to substitute it with a regular coax. It might've been damaged by a lightning strike nearby.
That's the reason I have GFI receptacles throughout my workshop.
The set should have a full wave bridge rectifier so the chassis is only 62 volts above ground.
Audiokarma