Thread: My 1st Predicta
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

replaced the vert out socket, should have done that in the 1st place, very easy. I 1st solder wicked 90% of the solder from around the pins, then busted up the plastic from the top so the pins were no longer locked together. then using a solder iron I just put light pressure from the bottom one each pin one at a time, they just popped out, clear of the board.

The replacement socket was an exact match pin and size, but better built.

I used a round tool to ream the holes clean (just enough pressure to clean the remnants out of the way) and the new socket pops into place, the pins expand once its thru so it holds itself in. Use the solder iron again an its done. Nice a tight. I retest all the resistance measurements (this time with the tube in place and using very light pressure so as simulate actual use), all test good. I tap the chassis on the bench some to shake it up and knock any loose debris off, then go over it once more looking for bit of solder or any other stuff (trying avoid any FOD) plus that should be a good stress test.

hook up the crt/tuner, plug in and voila works and all the damper and vert can be messed with with no problems at all. I need to check over on last tube a little 7 pin job, that is also easy to get at. If it is even slightly intermitant I will not hesitate to replace it as well.

I hope to work on cleaning up the metal chassis this weekend, will prob use some navel jelly to get the surface rust out (the inside is rusty the outside is pretty good, not perfect), then have to figure out if I should try to paint the inside or just leave it bare. I figure it should not rust given it will be inside.

Still pondering taking it to a paint buddy to strip and repaint the red cabinet, and what to do about the rusty brass plated uprights.

Most likely will just reassemble and enjoy as is (well after getting the dirt dobber nest out).