View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

DAveWM, my method is to unwind a flyback and count the turns and measure the wire gauge. And yes, I will be at FAWG.

Giulio, That is beautiful work you have done. I don't know if a layer winding approach could be used for color TV flyback transformers. At some point, I may give that technique a try, but I have many avenues yet to explore with my universal winding machine.

while the coil is winding, the ziz-zag structure is all that is needed to hold the coil together. The tall, thin high voltage secondary winding is also self supporting and stable, but I apply a topcoat of silicone RTV rubber to protect the coil and give it additional mechanical stability.

John Yurkon, I am not sure about the third harmonic tuning. I suspect you are correct, but I have no verification of this. I have a book published by Phillips which goes into great theoretical detail into the design and modeling of the windings on a flyback. And while this is helpful in as general knowledge, it does not really help me to know how to modify my recipe to achieve a particular result. I expect some trial and error is ahead of me.