View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 09:11 PM
<----Zenith C845

VK member Username1's comment on older home computers (PCs) got me thinking of my own IBM Aptiva 595 system, my second Windows PC. It cost some $3k when it was new, 14 years ago, and is probably worth next to nothing today. (I tried upgrading this box to Windows XP from Windows 98, but it didn't work very well; insufficient memory, RAM, and other problems.) I do not use or need this computer any longer, as I have a Windows XP system and a cheap Android tablet now, but I would not dare simply put the old IBM system out for the trash without first removing the hard drive. I erased the drive the best I could, but there is probably still enough sensitive information on it that could be recovered by a cyberthief using data recovery software. Even if I could have completely reformatted the disk, there would still be some remnants of sensitive information on it; without going into details, I can't afford to have that information get into the wrong hands.

I would, however, retain the monitor, keyboard and mouse from the IBM box for standby use with my PowerSpec Windows XP PC, if need be. The monitor has a problem (a bend in the raster, probably caused by the degausser being stuck on due to welded thermistor contacts), but it works well enough for temporary standby service if necessary.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma