View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

The saga continues...

Remember when I said somebody had run an unfused wire to the battery to power the stereo?

Now I know why they did that.

There's a 5 amp fuse in the engine fuse block, labeled Ignition off draw, or something like that. Far as I can tell it only powers the interior dome lamp, a few bulbs that light up the heater controls/ashtray, and apparently the stereo, or it acts as a switch for the 12 volt line to the stereo.

That circuit worked fine for over a month and now it keeps gobbling fuses. Even put in a 10 amp fuse, gobbles that one just as fast. When probing the contacts with a multi meter, it drew about half an amp, slightly higher with the stereo going.

So I decided, like the previous owner did, to leave the fuse blown and just run a wire to bring power to the stereo, but with one important change. I added a 10 amp in line fuse right before the battery terminal. So in the unlikely event the wire frays and makes contact with ground, that fuse will pop before anything else does.

I guess I could trace the wires, pull the dash, and hunt down where it's shorting, but the circuit does almost nothing of importance, and I don't have the time or patience to go through the trouble.