View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 AM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by de.facto7 View Post
Thanks Sean. That helps a lot.

I have another question. I'm a little dumbfounded about these dry cap packs with multiple ratings and voltage. How do you replace those? I've never seen this kind of thing before nor do I know what to use in their place. Is there a way to wire in 2 separate caps for each one? Honestly, I don't even know how they work like that.

I would really like to learn about this and take a stab at it.

Thanks!!
I'm working on a few of those right now too. Check out my thread - I put up a bunch of pictures: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...=246672&page=5

You could just clip the wires going the old ones and solder new ones in.

If you want to try restuffing them, the first step is to unsolder the pack and remove it from the chassis. Then, you need to figure out how to get the old guts out.

The last few I've done had metal tabs I could bend back. A little heat loosen up the tar inside and the old caps slid out. Next, I used some lacquer thinner to clean out any remaining gunk. I soldered new polypropylene caps in place.

Finally, for a couple of them, I refilled them with commercial grade wax. A little foam stuffing or hot glue would work too. Just so the new ones don't flop around inside the box. Bend the tabs back over to reseal the box. Remount it and solder the wires to it.

The worst part is definitely all the tar

Good luck
Bob