View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 07:41 PM
<----Zenith C845

[QUOTE=bgadow;3203700]Another update: I have most of the electrolytics replaced & a handful of the Black Beauties. The hardest part of the recapping is over. I took a little break this weekend & brought the cabinet in from the shed; it needed some bracing replaced in the back and a good vacuuming. I then treated it to some Howard's Restor-a-Finish which I quickly learned is an outstanding product. I never thought this set would come out so well. I have some minor touch-up to do and then a good coat of wax-it won't be perfect by any means but it will be better than half my existing collection!

Then I decided to mount the crt. I'd been dreading this since it was all apart (the crt, mounting frame including yoke, the 2-piece rubber insulator and the purity magnet ring). I wasn't the one who took it apart which made it that much more of a challenge but it actually came together really well. At one point, while tightening one of the retaining clamps for the mounting frame, the screw wasn't in far enough to grab and it let go with a BANG! Made my heart skip a beat-I was very well aware of the damage that could occur to my ego, my wallet and my body, should I mess up while tightening things down!

So, it's starting to look like a TV again. I'll really have to fight off the urge to try a power-up prior to finishing the recap. I know, though, that the chances of much of the circuit working with all those Black Beauties in place is extremely slim. Anyway, more updates to come.[/QUOTE

Bryan, I hope that "BANG" you heard had nothing to do with the CRT. Where did the noise originate? My best guess is an HV arc from the CRT bell to ground.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.