View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

The original complaint was that the horizontal wouldn't hold/breakup if close to lock.

I replaced some bumblebee caps in the horizontal section. Great go home.

Next is a call that the vertical is bad. I go back and fix the lack of vertical/height.

The next call is that there is no sound, just a faint buzz at high volume.
It was then decided to solder all ground supports for the boards and any suspicious areas as well.

I note that something is noisy in the audio detector area. Tapping there produces lots of loud noise in the speaker. Okay, change the 6DT6, nope. Narrowed it down to A11.

While I'm in there, I take out the very microphonic A11 the quadrature trap. Then I noticed it. A piece of half clipped wire still attached to the center leg to one of the outer legs, shorting the winding. This was factory, as it was still connected to its master wire. Removed, reinstalled and aligned. Nice audio. Shame RCA.

Let's check the flyback as it looked like a lot of wax was on the bottom of the box, not unusual for a 59 year old TV.
Gahhhh! there is the 56pF cap with burn marks across the ground side of the cap from the bottom 22MΩ resistor. Replace what I have with me, clean what I don't. I never could get the H centering pot to move. Let's look at that. Frozen or should I say burnt in place.

A 90 mile round trip ride later back to my house, I have one. Need some resistors that are burned up in there too. Remove and replace. All looks good. Tested and all is good again.

Now let's look at some more caps and test for leakage. Remove, replace, reinstall chassis.

It's now around 1AM. No video. Well there is. Out of brightness and focus with a blue tint. The CRT socket is apparently intermittent. Next visit We're done for the night.

Now to this Oct 1st weekend. I made up a socket assembly from a bare short clipped unit. I found wire to match the original colors, just because. Dissembled the TV and benched it to look at the dissembled socket by drilling out the rivets. One of the factory solder connections to something blue related (I don't care at this point) which was never done. Solder it. Shame RCA. Check the focus connection. All fuzzy white, with a corroded pin and receiver. Clean Clean Clean. Replaced the chassis and all is good.
Still seems a bit narrow though. The vertical is not filling the CRT as well. Boost Voltage. Check the B+ you say. A bit low. 340 something volts instead of the 385V. Before the filter reactor the same. Line voltage is optimal.

It's late again..... Parts on order for next weekend's failure adventure.

All this on a TV that looked good after the first repair...

Last edited by Sparky; 10-02-2018 at 07:14 AM.