View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Motorola Minion

Opening the "CRT doors" , it had obviously been fitted with a different TV. I lifted the lid to see what I recognized as a Philco escutcheon, and was ecstatic - I was afraid it could have been any number of less-desirable sets. This combo had more surprises.I also like the fact I found a GE HIFI, that was not a wimpy performer like so much of their audio stuff of the 60s.

While I like GE's 1959-64 "designer" chassis very much, CRT's seemed short-lived. Looking at the CRT cup poking through the back cover, the label confirmed a 1974 model Philco, the year before GTE bought and closed the factory at Tioga and "C" streets. In true Magnavox style, the color-tint-brite-contrast were liberated from the Philco's original cabinet and installed through the back cover, near the top with thumbwheels and the labels where they should be. This 4CS40 chassis is a 6-tube hybrid, reminiscent of an earlier Sylvania D14. It was the cheapest 19" color that year.

The final 1975 models were all SS, known as the "BOSS" chassis. Similar to an XL-100 in design with SCR sweep, the BOSS sets suffered from cold solder joints and other annoyances. They were repairable always but had some quirks you never quite found the cause of.
The 19VATP22 has EIA-877 (who???) and tests fair, with weak cutoff on red and green. I will wait until I clean and do a TV power up before attempting a "restore" with my tester. I like visual confirmation of any taken risk!

The space between the TV chassis and left speaker compartment is loaded with stuff rodents stashed there. I may find something interesting , though mouse-nuggets are sure to be mixed in.

The amp chassis has all its tubes including the 5U4 on a PC board, crazy and stupid IMAO, but at least they mounted transformers on the frame. Some of the 7355 outputs are not original. Im thinking high hours on this.

The tuner chassis is hand-wired, very unusual for a GE anyway. I found what all console lovers want to see in their 1962-63 models, an FM multiplex chassis, on the left side with long wires from the tuner-preamp on the right side.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 12-03-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Audiokarma