View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 06:53 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywaffle View Post
What a heartbreaking experience. I will try to clean up the area and see if I can expose any of the wire. It appears that there is a bit of oxidation at the base of all the leads.. But only the one managed to break (or maybe burned up; the glass stub you speak of that can be ground down is chipped.)

Going into the project, I initially never had much hope with the initial condition of the CRT. But things were really looking positive after the rejuvenation. It was a joy to watch for the brief time I could.
I agree with Electronic M's assessment of your situation. I hate to say this, but unless you can find some way to expose enough of the broken lead to solder to it (not likely, given how short it is), and the very real possibility of ruining the tube if anything goes wrong while you are working on it, your CRT is junk and must be replaced. I would try to find a good used CRT from a junked set. In this age of flat-screen TVs, it may not be easy to find a replacement for any size CRT, as these tubes are becoming very scarce and are all but impossible to find new--needless to say, no one makes CRTs anymore. I am not familiar with the CTC20 chassis, so I don't know if it uses a round or a rectangular CRT.

Further, if you rejuvenated the tube with a CRT tester, bear in mind that any improvement you may notice won't last long, so it is probably just as well that you will have to replace the tube. Rejuvenation is usually done only to restore a CRT to usable condition (albeit dim) until the tube can be replaced; it is not meant to be a permanent fix. The tube will eventually dim again, at which point it must be replaced. CRT brighteners were often used in the 1950s-'60s to extend the usable life of dimming tubes, but again, this was only a stopgap measure and usually resulted in a dim CRT again within months; the only solution in this case was either to replace the tube or the TV.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-20-2018 at 07:13 PM.