View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 02:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Update, January 18, 2019

Hi Marshall. Now that I have things squared away on the *“mountain tops”*, I am back to the Westy. During the dismantling of the set you might remember that I mentioned a powdered iron core slug that I found in the ventilating screen after removing the chassis. Well, I FOUND OUT where it came from. It came from the Hue control coil (Burst amplifier). I will need to remove the transformer and likely manufacture a new slug assembly for it. The pictures are as follows. 1) and 2) The broken piece that I found. 3) and 4) Shows more cleanup of the top part of the chassis. The deflection yoke has been removed so it can be cleaned and serviced separately. There is still one large axial type capacitor that I need to find and it is seen just above the white wires from the new VDC transformer. 5) and 6) shows the burst amp transformer bottom view and top view that I will need to remove in order to rebuild the iron core that is broken. The 2 horizontal output tubes (6BG6) are separate manufacturers and the date codes are many years apart and they should be replaced with a matched pair. Also, there are 2 damper tubes which by design are 6AX4 type. These are really tubes from the “black and white days” and that is why they used 2 in parallel instead of the usual 1. One has been replaced with a 6AU4 type , which is the “stronger” version of the 6AX4 and was designed for use in the newer color sets that were made after the Westy. Bottom line is, these should also be replaced with a matched pair of 6AU4. I will be purchasing these for replacements before I fire up the chassis to do any further sweep circuit testing. My next steps will be to “look” into the high voltage section and do a lot of work in there. I have already purchased a new matched set of 3 high voltage rectifier tubes for that section. I originally was going to convert these to solid state however I have changed my course of action on that decision for a number of reasons.

Cheers, Mike

*Author: Servicing the various communication repeaters in Mohave County, Arizona.

More information at this link: https://visions4netjournal.com/westinghouse/

Last edited by etype2; 01-19-2019 at 02:42 AM.
Audiokarma