View Single Post
Old 06-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Banned

Show us your vintage B&W sets!

I began collecting vintage TV's with round CRT's about 5 years ago when it occured to me that one of these would make a really cool period and conversation piece in my living room. I started looking around and putting out the word to my circle of friends and one day got a tip that there was a 1948, 10" Admiral bakelite consolette at an antique shop a couple of hour's away. Well it was in really tough shape, major crack in the top of the cabinet, most of the tubes were missing, and even the knobs were missing. The price was also too high but I just hadn't discovered the 'network' yet and let me tell you, these vintage sets are really hard to come by in Ontario, ...so I bought it. Then began all the phone calls, at first trying to find a good 10BP4 CRT (the picture tube was also shot). I eventually discovered the AWA and the radio swap meets and the rest is history. I had to buy another cabinet for that set, and another complete Admiral just for the right knobs, but eventually did get it fully electronically restored and polished to a nice shine. During that project I developed a keen interest in these early post war marvels of technology and that interest led to a full blown desire to collect more and more. Now I have filled my home with them and the collection spills over into the shop where the unrestored ones still await my attention. I would be ready to open a Vintage TV Museum any day now, if it was only a practical thing to do. The cost of heating the display building alone would never be recouped by the take at the gate. Anyhow, when I get time I'll eventually be sharing these sets with visitors to my website in Virtual Museum mode.

Vintage TV collecting has not entrenched itself yet like the well established hobby (and business) of radio collecting, but in the past 5 years it sure has seen a rapid growth curve. I'm glad I got started when I did, my collection is now pretty much big enough and I limit my collecting now somewhat selectively to just those few B&W sets I still desire to find or vintage round screen color sets.

I've enclosed an after restoration picture of my first set that launched my collecting hobby and invite all of you to share your pictures and collecting stories with us.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 06-26-2002 at 10:12 AM.