View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 05:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

It cleaned up well. It lived near the ocean though so there is a lot of surface rust you can't really get off with completely stripping the chassis.

The dial glass came out really nice. No scratches or damage.
I put my attention towards the tuning dial itself. I get a full motion end to end but it slips badly. The clutch is slipping, but not for the common Grundig issue of the clutch itself being split in half. I don't know what to do here.

Alright well after some continuity tests I brought out the dim bulb and began applying power. Started with a 25, then a 40, then 60 and after the 100 didn't smoke anything out I gave it straight power.
Hey nice! Both the backlight bulbs work.

I got hum on the speaker but nothing on the radio. Clean the tube pins a few more times and get everything lit and no longer crackling when you wiggle them. Using an isolation transformer I attached an ipod to the phono/tape port and I could hear audio, so at least the audio amp circuit was working but it was fighting presumably because it needed an overhaul.
This is where things fall apart.
I catch smoke coming from somewhere under the pair of 6DL5's and power down. The radio isn't all that easy to work with on its side without the dial glass installed because it really wants to tip over so I put that back on and get it on its side. I'm still having stability issues and I don't want this to fall over so I grab a book to support it with and hold the radio by both ends.
The chassis spins in my fingers. It's still live with wires and test leads everywhere and I got nowhere to grab it, so it goes tumbling down and the tone control cracks the dial glass.

@#$%
*&%^
#@$%
DAMMIT
GOD. DAMMIT.
SON OF A %^@#$
THAT WAS AN IMMACULATE DIAL AND I JUST RUINED IT. #$@*

Alright well at this point I'm waiting on schematics so back into the cabinet it goes.

Last edited by MIPS; 09-11-2022 at 05:51 PM.