View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 07:19 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
From what I have read...the CED debacle was more responsible that anything else. They gambled on it.... like Sony did on the trinitron, having nearly lost their own shirt on the Chromatron. But the trinitron DID become a success---and made Sony into a bigger player than RCA...(despite the FACT ...that trinitron tubes do NOT last all that long and CANNOT be rejuved), and the CED FLOPPED...after RCA put Millions into it...trying to "iron out the bugs" and gain it's acceptance..and Failed.
I had a great-aunt (now deceased) who owned a Sony Trinitron 12" portable for some 20 years (she bought the set new in the '70s, IIRC). The set worked amazingly well all that time, and had its original CRT when the TV finally quit some time in the early 1990s.

Unless this was a fluke, I think it speaks well for the CRTs in '60s-'70s vintage Sony TVs. I wonder, however, why you say the Trinitron CRTs cannot be rejuvenated. The only thing I can think of is the CRTs in those televisions used a non-standard base or perhaps the filament voltage was some oddball value like 2.35 volts. Since those Sony TVs only had one tube (the CRT) besides the HV rectifier, the rest of the set being solid state, I would think the tube would have a low-voltage filament powered by a small transformer.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.