View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pretty easy quiz, I guess!

A local pet shelter ran a rummage sale to raise funds and this TV (a donation to their sale) was crammed amongst loads of rubbish. After I tried testing the CRT on my Sencore CR70 with no visible signs of life, I offered $60, which they accepted. After thinking it over, I gave them an extra $20.

It's a one-owner local set. All the parts & pieces seem to be there. The cabinet looks better in dim light than daylight, but the decals are unworn and I think the various boo-boos will be easy to touch up. It has the inevitable ding on the brass bezel surround, but I can try the trick (Nick's?) of pushing out the ding as best I can and then putting that brass piece on top where the ding's less noticeable. The grille cloth isn't perfect, but that style should not be impossible to find. The Deluxe logo is all in one piece.

Chassis looks pretty clean after a light dust and wipe. Nothing frightening underneath. I haven't peeked at the flyback yet. The 21AXP22 CRT shows no emission whatsoever on the R and G guns, which I only tested briefly. The filament does have continuity. Tomorrow there will be time for a closer look.

I need more projects like a hole in the head, but this sale was so poorly advertised & attended that I felt like I was rescuing this set from a cruel fate (Goodwill or the dump). I spent about two hours at the sale, between testing things, gabbing with the sales person, and disassembling the set for transport. During that time there was only one other shopper . . . who bought nothing.

Phil Nelson

P.S. The cardboard box in the car held tools for testing & disassembling, not refreshments