Thread: Outa-Space
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The CCs were hybrid sets and the CCII were 100% solid state...It had nothing to do with screen size as both were available in 23V and 25V CRT models. CC was IIRC originally Zenith's trade name for the Black Matrix CRT's they started using around the time they came up with the name.

And in case your wondering what black matrix is, it is the process of applying a grid of black non-transparent material to the face of the tube such that light can only be emitted from the individual phosphor dots but not the area in between. It improves contrast, sharpness, and to an extent convergence IIRC.
Thanks for going over this..... I have I think it's a 23cc50, 1971-72, or 73 I forgot now for sure, it's a 23" mostly tube set, with a few what looks like 7 pin IC's round like a 2n2222 transistor. I don't have a sam's yet, so I'm not sure what's in it, it works, so not been into it electronically.... But anyway, the picture tube says in nice big colorful letters Chromacolor, and some references here to both CC and CCII have had me confused as to exactly what CC meant. I never thought it may have meant the picture tube design.... So thanks for this bit of information.... It's a great set anyway.... And for all the sets I have seen from this time period, these Zeniths have in my opinion the sharpest pictures....

PS I thought Black Matrix, and Black Stripe were references to the material between the color dots, and tri-color box groups, being a black non reflective, or light absorbing color, as opposed to being reflective to try and transmit more light out the front of the screen.....

I had a Toshiba hybrid set where the material between the dots looked silvery, it had a poor quality picture, and colors were not that great either.... Those were the years when tv ads had the tv at one end of a football field, and they were making a point of how bright they made the picture.....

Last edited by Username1; 03-03-2014 at 06:28 PM.