View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update: Zenith chassis fully recapped, all waxpaper, paper oil, and electrolytics replaced and put in and checked. Flyback winding for HV rect. tube cup and horizontal output tube cup tested ok, will test remaining windings and transformers soon. Cleaned chasses more, deoxed all pots and cleaned tube sockets, all tubes tested and some are weak but none straight up bad or with unacceptable leakage or shorts. Likely the CRT just got so weak that tv was put out of service for that reason. Also the CRT having a short on the red gun was probably the straw that broke the camel's back and put it out of service too. Like mentioned before, it appears the rejuvination and fixing of short was successful, only time will tell if it holds up for long when put back in service later down the road. Diodes checked out ok.

Found all three needed replacement inductors for dynamic convergence board L 40, L41, L43. Replacements are all NOS and will be installed soon.

Accidentally cracked the burst amp inductor on underside of chassis. Ferrite core was unharmed though, one of the wires pulled of a post and is now too short to reach. Repaired the plastic crack on inductor but wire still needs to reach post...ordered a NOS replacement for this inductor in case I need it...price only $15 plus shipping lol. And like I said before even IF flyback and vertical transformers were toast...I have NOS replacements for those too ready. So I am sure this TV will have a new lease on life but the tobacco tar fumes may be a bit...off-putting for some.

Any tips for fixing an inductor whose wire is too short to solder back to post? can I just patch it in with another wire of make the metal connector post longer?

Last edited by Lain94; 07-09-2023 at 01:10 PM. Reason: more info